Saturday, September 15, 2012

Rough and tumble: A & E

It is a well-known fact that children are accident prone. More often than not they fall, bump their head, scrape their face, hands or knees... Or worse still, jump right into danger when their parent or another responsible adult takes their eyes off them for a few minutes. Lulled into a momentary false sense of ( the girls') safety, H tried to multi-task and clean his car while the girls were in the trampoline. Unwatched for a few minutes, they jumped, swung around on the nets and S promptly fell out landing on the hard paved patio. That she did not hit her head and was saved by virtue of her leg caught up in the safety net was nothing short of a lucky miracle. Being as it was, she hurt her arm and the impact made her whole wrist, palm and arm seize up in pain.

The first thing I notice when I get home from work is the frown on her tear-stained face.... She reacts to my "Hello beta, how was your day!?" with a grunt and a rough swipe. S is sitting near her sister in bed, watching a kiddie-movie. It is around 22:00 on one of the last few days of the Summer Holidays... Rani fills me in on the details of her injury. Soon, H walks into the room and we talk about it, briefly. I save my questions and concern for later.... I've learnt from my past experiences with S- if we downplay any minor injuries she is likely to quit making a big fuss over it. Alarm bells, however, ring in my head as I watch her hold her hand partly folded into a loose fist. Suddenly, It doesn't seem all that minor an injury to me. Quietly, I leave the room as H and I take our conversation into our bedroom. I ask him, seriously, if he would take us to A & E??! He says it seems to be better now, and suggests we let her rest tonight, with the possibility of taking her there in the morning. Since I was not present when she sustained the fall, I decide to take his advice and let it rest for a day...

The next morning, 01st Sept. 2012, a Saturday dawns sunny and bright. As the kids awaken and go through their morning routine, I watch S' hand closely for any tell-tale signs of swelling- the indications a fracture. Aside from some screaming and shouting at me (which is the norm, rather than an exception) when I attempt to help her change her clothes, she retains her sour mood- brightening up only around her Dad when he wakes up. I notice her pain, the way she is holding her hand.... and I feel worried, anxious and perplexed at S' behaviour towards me- best described as indifferent, with spurts of clinging shower-of-love moments. I hug her back when she demands it, feeling drained and empty inside.... worried and stressed no end.
As I reluctantly get ready for work, I tell H we should take her into A & E and get her hand examined, as she was still complaining of a lot of pain there. He finally agrees to drop us off and pick us up if we're seen before I go onto my Ward adn start work. We make it there before noon! We're seen by the Lady atthe reception, and I tell her my concerns, she notes down the history, and nature of the injury, and directs us to take a seat. S fidgets and is jumpy, but all I can see is the way her hand and arm look and feel. she does not let me touch her arm at all. After about half an hour's wait, she is shown into the Paediatric A & E area, where she is instantly absorbed by the toys and games. A young nurse with a cheerful smile calls out her name and she shuffles to her feet, smiling shyly. A senior nurse-practitioner examines her arm and hand asking her about the pain and talking to me about the nature of the injury. She asks S about the fall, the pain and where it hurts. S points out the palm of her hand and the area around her wrist. The nurse says it is probably nothing major, but agrees that an X-Ray will rule-out a hidden injury, and given S' ASD, I am relieved at her decision.
After an X-Ray request has been filed, we are shown to the Imaging Dept. via A & E Majors. S wants to touch everything and doesn't want to hold my hand at all. In a few minutes, we're standing at the Imaging Reception, looking into an unmanned reception window, waiting. I glance down at S and smile reassuringly, and she smiles back, her little face barely clearing the window base. she looks like a disembodied cherub-face, floating curiously...! A young man with thin features and blond hair shows up and asks me, " Yes, May I help you?" , and I give him our family name. " Can you spell the name for me please?". S-H-I-.... I begin, and he types it down quickly, looking for the request. " There's nothing on the system, yet," he says, " would you and S like to wait here for a few minutes?" "That's fine, " I say, when S pipes up at the young lad, surprising me. " What is your name?"... " Luke, " he says, smiling at her for the second time, " My name is Luke"... " Hello, Luke!" S says to him, as I look down at her in awe of her friendly, open alter-ego! She's full of surprises at times and sometimes oh-so-predictable... S sits down and points at a chair a little further away from the one she's occupying. I sit down in it, obediently, eyes dancing with a hidden smile. s giggles, and jumps into the seat next to me. We play the "silent-chatter" game, where S whispers loudly and I whisper back in a whisper....talking about anything that interests her. The waiting area is empty, so she does not cause me any embarrassment by asking questions about people with the inherent frankness of childhood.

About five minutes later, a Radiographer calls out her name and we make our way down to meet her. Ten more minutes and we exit the X-Ray room- S grinning from ear to ear, showing off her sticker! On our ay out to Paeds again, we walk past Luke, pushing a portable X-Ray machine in from Majors. " Bye, Luke", S pipes up, making him smile in surprise. I like the way he smiles at her, genuinely touched that she remembered his name! That's my S for you, in a nutshell. She may not remember which shoe goes on which foot, or whether or not her vest or T-shirt is on the right way around, but she never forgets people's names, things they like and how they made her feel...It took us another couple of visits to A & E to sort our her arm, but eventually, I think, I learned something from my daughter that day.

About how pain is a state of mind.
What matters is that one trusts the judgement of an expert, but also makes allowances for the little niggling 'voice' inside.
How a kid will be a kid. Always.

The second visit came on Tuesday, the 4th of Sept. This was the day she had cried a lot, screaming in pain when trying to put on her top, and jumper. Soon, her screaming escalated and became more of an angry outburst, when I tried to help her. In the evening, as soon as she returned from school, we walked over to see our GP, and he said we should go down to A & E again, as the top of her arm was tender and seemed to be causing her pain. The way she held her arm by her side also made me worried. We made our way down, H's uncle dropping us off at the entrance, and we walked in again. The nurse listened to my concern, and referred S to the Paediatrician. The good doctor examined her after a half an hour wait. S was absorbed in the games and toys, and I, in watching her. He said he was reluctant to X-Ray the upper arm cos the hand had been fine, and it was probably a sore muscle. They gave her some Ibuprofen and Paracetamol, and after another half-an-hour, they saw her again. This time, when the doctor asked her if she had any pain, she said, " No." He spoke to me about bringing her in in case the pain worsened, but sent us off with the two painkillers. S was happy enough, and when I told her to go say thank you to the nurse and doctor, she gave them both a big smile and did as she was told. The doctor took her hand and said, " you're welcome, S!" and brought her to the linen room, where they had a box full of teddy bears. He invited S to select one to take home,  and she picked one dressed in her favourite colour- green.

S outside the Hospital, waiting to be picked up.
Post Script: Excerpt from my diary- 
 Have returned from our THIRD trip to A & E... half an hour ago... Its now 2304 Hrs... girls asleep- Raj just managed to put the girls to bed... The A & E sister said it was probably nothing, and when I insisted she was in pain for a couple of days, she thought it was best to X-Ray the shoulder. It turned out to be a fractured humerus.... They gave her a sling and a morning 'fracture clinic' appt for tmrw. Thank God, its not major, but I felt like a fool cos no one would believe me. Hubby stood by me and came along, so that was good... but he also told the nurse-in-charge, about our reason for visit being  ".... my wife, here is worried about my daughter's arm now..." She will be seen by the Orthopaedic doctor tomorrow. I guess if the doc yesterday would have requested an X-ray it would have been picked up then, but its S we're talking about! She thinks everything's a lark!!
Kids fed, watered and tucked into bed. S' Painkillers given. Fast asleep now... A & E staff were brilliant!!! 100% dedicated people! ( Working round the clock, without a break on 12 hour-shifts is no mean feat! SALUT!)

No comments:

Post a Comment