Not so long ago, (in the first week of September in fact) my exuberant little 8 year-old started a new chapter in her life. Actually, make that OUR lives. She started attending her new school- a Special School for children with severe, complex behavioural and learning difficulties... Her old school, which her little sister, R (6yrs) still attends, is still linked to her in my heart. Her teachers, friends, other parents, all ask me how she is doing in her new school, and how she likes it there...and each day I tell them that she's settling down, loves school and falls asleep on the bus ( I wake her up, every school-day morning at 0630...) R's new class is right next to S's year 3 classroom from July. In walking along the corridors, with R by my side, I recollect the pain and unshed tears I buried inside me each day, as I resolutely removed myself from S and her class. She would be fine on some days, and absolutely livid or tearful on others, depending on how she felt that morning....The class teacher and T.As always reassured me that she was usually fine a few moments after I left and carried on. Sometimes, this knowledge was the only string holding me together.
Nonetheless, since S has started attending a Maintained Special School in our town things have slowly but surely changed for the better. Of course, we still have those off days when she is screaming in fury or frustration and I am bloody ready to tear my hair out... But I am learning to cope with her mood swings, her hatred/love for me and her need to do things her way....My husband helps me understand her somewhat better, and I dare say I feel horribly envious of the splendid way in which he manages her behaviour... ASD wise, her journey is smoother, because of the specialist input of her teachers and T.As at her new school. I guess the best example is she's amongst children who share some of her specific special needs and the adults in the School are trained and experienced enough to cope, help and support them in their journey to learn and grow in their life. The new school is well-equipped to handle her needs, guide and support her learning and help her become a whole, rounded person despite her difficulties.
The one thing that gives me untold peace is the fact that she is settled there; happy and already making friends again. After years of struggle by her splendid Primary (mainstream) School, and us parents, it was a sigh... Yet, to this day, if you were to ask me if my child has ASD I would have to honestly say "I DON'T KNOW." Not because I doubt the it, but because there has been no formal diagnosis, not yet, anyway. Her Paediatrician has always maintained that she "May present with a dyslexic profile, in future" or " Could be on the spectrum" which is kind of open-ended; neither here nor there...
It was in a chance meeting with her Paediatrician, (again, at the hospital where I work that I learned about a review of S and her difficulties) arranged by the Ed Psych (Educational Psychology) team to take place in the near future. She asked me how S was doing and I told her about the new school S is at, for children with behavioural and learning difficulties. The doctor informed me that there would be a review arranged for S and her needs, looking to assess her needs in a measurable and identifiable manner. She mentioned the ADOS (Autism Diagnostic Observation Schedule) test and I made a mental note of the same. (read more about ADOS here) The assessment is timely and yet long overdue at the same time...
But, there is a DOWN side to it too... now that S has settled in to her new school, she has begun to 'copy' behaviour that she sees around her. Considering that some of the children there have developed their own 'coping' mechanisms and have a varying degree of special needs, I find it heartbreaking and also a bit insensitive on S's part that she shows no remorse for her own behaviour. (i.e, when she copies other children and their behaviour). Should I put it down to her 'echolalia' or mimicking others? Is that good, bad, or very bad!? How do I get through to her?? She nods and smiles when I tell her not to copy other children and their behaviour, as they may have learned to cope in that particular manner. She will sometimes repeat, "I must not do that", "I must not copy", "It is BAD.." but she does it nonetheless.... A teacher and one of my friends on an FB group 'different for girls?' (you know who you are!) suggested I use stickers or cards to remind her so as to not nag her all the time... maybe use simple PECS symbols or pictures etc...A similar situation arose in her second week at her new school (read more on my P.E.C.S: Our version PAGE)
In the last six weeks, she has had fuss-free school transport (she's being picked-up and dropped off at the doorstep, everyday as we live more than 4 miles away from the School), healthy school meals (which we can afford now thanks to my extra working hours' regulations) and is enjoying her learning, participating in the school routine which is specifically tailored to suit children with severe or complex needs, like herself. Gone are the days of struggling to get her into her class and watching her scream and cry as she hated letting me go away, which I did eventually, with a heavy heart. Now, she hops on the bus and turns around with the sweetest of smiles, blowing me kisses while I do the same, as the Bus slowly pulls away.....The last thought on my mind as she slowly vanishes into the distance, is of gratitude to God for giving me such a beautiful child who teaches me something about myself everyday...
"Its Friday, it's Friday, the weekend starts on Friday..." sang my little girl last weekend... now, when I drop off/ pick up my littlest to her class, the corridors of the school, the people, the T.As all remind me of her sister's absence... but I know she is happy in the school she's now attending....
Nonetheless, since S has started attending a Maintained Special School in our town things have slowly but surely changed for the better. Of course, we still have those off days when she is screaming in fury or frustration and I am bloody ready to tear my hair out... But I am learning to cope with her mood swings, her hatred/love for me and her need to do things her way....My husband helps me understand her somewhat better, and I dare say I feel horribly envious of the splendid way in which he manages her behaviour... ASD wise, her journey is smoother, because of the specialist input of her teachers and T.As at her new school. I guess the best example is she's amongst children who share some of her specific special needs and the adults in the School are trained and experienced enough to cope, help and support them in their journey to learn and grow in their life. The new school is well-equipped to handle her needs, guide and support her learning and help her become a whole, rounded person despite her difficulties.
The one thing that gives me untold peace is the fact that she is settled there; happy and already making friends again. After years of struggle by her splendid Primary (mainstream) School, and us parents, it was a sigh... Yet, to this day, if you were to ask me if my child has ASD I would have to honestly say "I DON'T KNOW." Not because I doubt the it, but because there has been no formal diagnosis, not yet, anyway. Her Paediatrician has always maintained that she "May present with a dyslexic profile, in future" or " Could be on the spectrum" which is kind of open-ended; neither here nor there...
It was in a chance meeting with her Paediatrician, (again, at the hospital where I work that I learned about a review of S and her difficulties) arranged by the Ed Psych (Educational Psychology) team to take place in the near future. She asked me how S was doing and I told her about the new school S is at, for children with behavioural and learning difficulties. The doctor informed me that there would be a review arranged for S and her needs, looking to assess her needs in a measurable and identifiable manner. She mentioned the ADOS (Autism Diagnostic Observation Schedule) test and I made a mental note of the same. (read more about ADOS here) The assessment is timely and yet long overdue at the same time...
All this, again, would not have happened if it were not for some very dedicated, helpful adults- the Family Worker (Mrs A), her teachers' inputs and help and the SENCO at her previous Mainstream Primary who included my letter to the SENAT definitely spurred things on. It is all I needed, someone to listen and take note of things from my perspective.... It has taken my worries, my tears, my stress and my pain ,and made it all worthwhile- because, finally, someone is able to reach out to her and help her learn at her level, at HER pace. She has done well because of the patience, perseverance and persistence of her T.A's over the last few years. At her Mainstream Primary, the class teachers and T.As were terrific! Always supporting her to the requisite degree- not letting her feel left-out, yet not making her work beyond her potential.... They shared a bond far beyond the calling of a teacher and a pupil. Shivangi, in her inimitable way, has touched their hearts... This morning, I met her old T.A in the school corridor after dropping Rani to her classroom. We exchanged a hug, and she asked after Shivangi's well-being. It was a moment when I realised how deeply S has affected the lives of all of us- her Parents, her teachers, her friends...even strangers!
On the UP side, just a month or so after joining the New School, she visited Ashridge Woods on a School Trip and loved it! We talked about it the next morning (I am at work till 2200 each day of the week, barring some Saturdays and Tuesdays) and she spoke about playing on the 'Bumpy Hills' when her teacher let go of her hand briefly, and brushed aside my concern for her nettle-scratched hand with endearing 'grown-up' ness..." Its FINE, Mummy... I didn't even cry!" My little Ms Tornado is finding her feet now..!But, there is a DOWN side to it too... now that S has settled in to her new school, she has begun to 'copy' behaviour that she sees around her. Considering that some of the children there have developed their own 'coping' mechanisms and have a varying degree of special needs, I find it heartbreaking and also a bit insensitive on S's part that she shows no remorse for her own behaviour. (i.e, when she copies other children and their behaviour). Should I put it down to her 'echolalia' or mimicking others? Is that good, bad, or very bad!? How do I get through to her?? She nods and smiles when I tell her not to copy other children and their behaviour, as they may have learned to cope in that particular manner. She will sometimes repeat, "I must not do that", "I must not copy", "It is BAD.." but she does it nonetheless.... A teacher and one of my friends on an FB group 'different for girls?' (you know who you are!) suggested I use stickers or cards to remind her so as to not nag her all the time... maybe use simple PECS symbols or pictures etc...A similar situation arose in her second week at her new school (read more on my P.E.C.S: Our version PAGE)
In the last six weeks, she has had fuss-free school transport (she's being picked-up and dropped off at the doorstep, everyday as we live more than 4 miles away from the School), healthy school meals (which we can afford now thanks to my extra working hours' regulations) and is enjoying her learning, participating in the school routine which is specifically tailored to suit children with severe or complex needs, like herself. Gone are the days of struggling to get her into her class and watching her scream and cry as she hated letting me go away, which I did eventually, with a heavy heart. Now, she hops on the bus and turns around with the sweetest of smiles, blowing me kisses while I do the same, as the Bus slowly pulls away.....The last thought on my mind as she slowly vanishes into the distance, is of gratitude to God for giving me such a beautiful child who teaches me something about myself everyday...
"Its Friday, it's Friday, the weekend starts on Friday..." sang my little girl last weekend... now, when I drop off/ pick up my littlest to her class, the corridors of the school, the people, the T.As all remind me of her sister's absence... but I know she is happy in the school she's now attending....
No comments:
Post a Comment