Today is my B's birthday. That's my girls' Dad, to be specific. He's all of 38, working hard, without a break, since his return from India last month. Last night, the girls helped me clean and tidy up the kitchen, and watched me bake a cake. We had driven B out of the 'female' domain as soon as he'd had his dinner. He wanted to cook outdoors on a barbecue, and I wanted to get a move-on my my cake. So, with S helping me inside and occasionally rushing out back to check the progress on the sausages, we both managed to finish everything around 2300. Good timing, if you ask me!
B was quite knackered and was asleep as soon as he got into bed. Settling down S was another matter. She has begun to hate me for putting her to sleep, and now shouts and hits out at me when earlier she would snuggle into my arms, or nuzzle my neck and nod off to la-la Land... Its painful, this transformation in my little girl. But I keep my emotions in check. "This too, Shall pass", I remind myself stoically, as the Buddha said...
Today, R woke up first and reminded me that we still need to finish Daddy's cake! After writing out or cards and packing our presents for him (with their approval, of course!), I cleaned the house. The girls' helped too, by dusting (R) and staying well out of the way (S). At present, they are out on the driveway, drawing rainbows, flowers and hope! Now, on to our next challenge, the icing on the cake. Literally a task so fraught, it makes me want to do it myself. Knowing them, however, I feel that they would love nothing better than to get 'stuck-in' and slap, dash the icing with their own small hands! It may not be the most good looking cake, but it will certainly be brimming with their love!
B was quite knackered and was asleep as soon as he got into bed. Settling down S was another matter. She has begun to hate me for putting her to sleep, and now shouts and hits out at me when earlier she would snuggle into my arms, or nuzzle my neck and nod off to la-la Land... Its painful, this transformation in my little girl. But I keep my emotions in check. "This too, Shall pass", I remind myself stoically, as the Buddha said...
Today, R woke up first and reminded me that we still need to finish Daddy's cake! After writing out or cards and packing our presents for him (with their approval, of course!), I cleaned the house. The girls' helped too, by dusting (R) and staying well out of the way (S). At present, they are out on the driveway, drawing rainbows, flowers and hope! Now, on to our next challenge, the icing on the cake. Literally a task so fraught, it makes me want to do it myself. Knowing them, however, I feel that they would love nothing better than to get 'stuck-in' and slap, dash the icing with their own small hands! It may not be the most good looking cake, but it will certainly be brimming with their love!
No comments:
Post a Comment